Medical Alert Button FAQ's
Frequently Asked Questions About Our Medical Alert Buttons
Here are some of the frequently asked questions about the medical alert button you'll wear asked by new Medical Care Alert customers. Please call us at 1-855-272-1010 and ask for a team member to answer all your questions about our emergency call buttons.
Questions About Medical Alert Buttons
How big is the medical alert button?
Some medical alert buttons are smaller than a quarter, others are larger with built in 2-way voice speaker and cellular communications technology. Depending on which medical alert system is right for you, the emergency call button will be somewhere between the size of a quarter to a small hotel-sized bar of soap. See our comparison chart below.
How does a medical alert button work?
Each Medical Alert Button works a little differently, but they're all designed to get you help when you press the emergency call button and initiate a call to our Emergency Response Center. The call will be answered by one of our EMT/EMD-Certified Operators. They will know WHO you are and WHERE you are, and ask if you need assistance.
- "HOME" and "HOME-3G" Medical Alert System - When you press the medical alert button, it sends a signal to the medical alert system console which then calls our Medical Alert Monitoring Center. Signal range up to 1,000 Feet from the base unit.
- "HOME & YARD" Medical Alert System - Press the button and speak directly into the pendant. Has a range similar to a cordless phone, up to 600 feet from the base unit.
- "HOME & AWAY" Medical Alert System - Press the button and speak directly into the pendant. Nationwide coverage with AT&T Wireless
Can I wear the medical alert button in the shower?
Yes! All of our medical alert buttons are "Shower-Safe" and OK to wear in the shower.
Depending on which system is right for you, the medical alert button will be worn on your wrist on around your neck with a lanyard. We also offer a belt clip option for several of the emergency call buttons, but you probably wont wear it that way in the shower!
How does a medical alert button with fall detection work?
Automatic fall detection is an optional feature on our HOME, HOME-3G and HOME & AWAY ELITE medical alert systems.
Automatic fall detection pendants have sensors designed to recognize sudden movements that are consistent with a fall. If the sensors recognize a fall pattern, the pendant will initiate a signal to contact our Medical Alert Monitoring Center through your base console (HOME or HOME-3G) or the cellular pendant (HOME & AWAY).
Our "HOME" and "HOME-3G" fall detection pendants are worn around the neck just above the breast plate, close to the body. The pendant is Shower-Safe, and comes with a breakaway lanyard. The pendant also has a button which can be pressed to signal for help.
Our "HOME & AWAY" GPS Medical Alert Systems have fall detection sensors built into the pendant. The optional fall detection feature is turned on when you order or by calling our customer service team and asking for the fall detection to be enabled. If a fall pattern is detected, the HOME & AWAY Pendant will initiate a call to our Medical Alert Monitoring center.
NOTE: No Fall detector can detect 100% of falls. If able, users should always push their help button when they need assistance. HOME & AWAY pendants requires daily charging and a strong AT&T Wireless cellular signal to initiate a call.
How much does a medical alert button cost?
The medical alert button cost is included in the price of your medical alert system - prices range from $27.45 to $45.79 a month for service. Our "HOME" annual plan pricing is just $27.45 a month. If you need an extra medical alert button, they are available for a small cost of $29.95 - $60.00 depending on the system type, click here to see the HOME Medical Alert Button
. For around $1 a day, you or your loved one will be protected and able to continue living independently.
How does a medical alert button with GPS work?
A medical alert button with GPS is designed to find your location, using GPS satellite technology. When you press the medical alert button with GPS, your coordinates are sent to the Medical Care Alert Monitoring Center, and the Operator can dispatch help to your location. A good example of this is the HOME & AWAY ULTRA GPS Medical Alert System from Medical Care Alert.
Medical alert buttons with GPS require a cellular signal to connect to the AT&T Wireless Cellular network, and adequate signal to be "seen" by GPS satellites. If a satellite signal cannot be obtained, the device with use cellular tower triangulation and Wi-Fi to determine your location, and/or report your last known location.
What happens when I press the medical alert button?
Upon pressing your medical alert button you'll be immediately connected with our Medical Alert Emergency Monitoring Center and will speak with a live, EMT/EMD-Certified operator who knows WHO and WHERE you are. The operator will have your Personal Profile and ask if you need help. Depending on your response and the situation, we will contact folks on your Contact List (i.e. a neighbor or family member), or contact the appropriate emergency responders in your area in the event of a real emergency. If we are unable to hear you after receiving a signal from your medical alert button, we will assume you need urgent help and dispatch an ambulance.
We also send instant SMS Text Messages to your emergency contacts with cell phones to update them on the situation. Your family and caregivers can even reply to the text message, letting our monitoring center know of any updates to the situation.
We have redundant monitoring centers in New York State and California, and we never outsource our calls overseas.
How does a medical alert button with WiFi work?
A medical alert button with WiFi finds your location using WiFi "hot spots" detected by the device. Public and private WiFi routers broadcast their location, which can be transmitted to our Medical Care Alert Monitoring Center, and the Operator can dispatch help to your location. A good example of this is the HOME & AWAY ULTRA Medical Alert System from Medical Care Alert.
Medical alert buttons with WiFi require a cellular signal to connect to the AT&T Wireless Cellular network. In the case of the HOME & AWAY ULTRA, the device uses three types of location services (WiFi, GPS satellites, cellular tower triangulation) to determine your location, and/or report your last known location. The ULTRA also allows you to share your location data with caregivers and family via our "RemoteCare 24/7" smartphone app for iPhone and Andriod.
What is the range of the medical alert button?
Depending on which system you choose, your loved one is protected throughout the entire home and up to three football fields outside the door.
- "HOME" Medical Alert System - up to 1,000 Feet from the base unit
- "HOME & YARD" Medical Alert System - up to 600 feet from the base unit
- "HOME & AWAY" Medical Alert System with GPS - nationwide coverage with AT&T Wireless
What type of medical alert call buttons are available?
Medical Care Alert gives you the choice of wearing your waterproof medical alert call button as a necklace, wristband or on your hip with a belt clip. Please tell your representative which one you prefer. See our comparison chart below.
Who manufactures the medical alert emergency call buttons?
Our emergency call buttons are manufactured by the same companies that produce the emergency medical alert console, ensuring 100% compatibility and reliability.
How often can I press the medical alert button?
You can press the medical alert button as often as you like - and there is NO additional charge for pressing the button. Even if you don't have an emergency, we encourage our clients to press their medical alert button at least once a week as a test.
You can think of the system as an emergency call button for elderly to get help in any situation - for police, fire, or medical emergency.
What if I can't push the medical alert button?
The medical emergency button is easy to press, and is designed for people with various medical challenges. We know from years of research, that in most emergency situations, people have enough time to push the button before losing consciousness. The ease of pushing one button to summon help is one of the key advantages of our system, as compared to trying to use a cell phone or other complex system as a substitute for a medical alert system. We also offer AutoFALL technology to provide automatic fall detection in the event you are unable to press the button. AutoFALL is available for our HOME, and HOME & AWAY mobile systems -
click here to learn more about
auto fall alert
When choosing an emergency call button for elderly family members, it's important to remember to keep it simple and easy to use in the event of a real emergency.
How many medical alert buttons can I have?
Some people need multiple medical alert buttons for themselves (wants one for the wrist, one around the neck) or may have multiple members of the household who need protection (i.e. husband and wife). We can protect multiple people at the same residence, no extra charge for monitoring. For each person to have their own personal medical alert button, see the list below for costs (if any) and how many medical alert buttons are supported:
- Comes with 2 emergency call buttons, no extra charge to monitor 2 people. Additional standard buttons (up to 16) available for $29.95 each, AutoFALL Pendant is $10.00 a month, and an additional AutoFALL pendant can be purchased for a one-time charge of $60.00. Wall mounted emergency call buttons are also available.
- Comes with 1 button, no extra charge to monitor 2 people - just ask for an extra button. Additional standard buttons (up to 16) available for $29.95 each, AutoFALL Pendant is $10.00 a month, and an additional AutoFALL pendant can be purchased for a one-time charge of $60.00. Wall mounted emergency call buttons are also available.
HOME & YARD System
- Comes with 1 2-way voice pendant, no extra charge to monitor 2 people, but an additional 2-way voice pendant is required. Additional 2-way voice pendants (up to 4) available for $60.00 each.
HOME & AWAY System
- Comes with 1 cellular GPS pendant. A second person would need their own separate system. Ask about our "Couple's Discount" to help save some money.
HOME & AWAY DUO System
- Comes with 1 cellular GPS device, and one wearable button (wrist or necklace). A second person can get their own separate button that also singals the same DUO
GPS device. The DUO
device can support up to 4 wearable buttons, including two AutoFALL Buttons.
Will the medical alert button go off accidentally?
The engineers have designed the emergency call buttons for elderly users by recessing the button and requiring that the user press the button for 1-2 seconds before sending a signal. The medical alert button does not go off accidentally by turning over in your sleep or bending. We do not charge for false alarms, check with your local authorities on their policies.
Fall detection buttons can go off accidentally if there is sudden movement that resembles a fall. Just tell the operator that it is a false alarm and to disregard - everything is OK.
If I press the medical alert button and the door is locked, how will EMS get in?
If you press the medical alert button and we dispatch emergency services while the door is locked, our free lockbox will allow EMS to enter with out breaking in.
We include a free lockbox with our annual plans, or you may purchase one from us at a discounted price. The key lockbox is a secure box which easily attaches to your home - just like a real estate agent uses when showing a home for sale. Local emergency personnel are given the combination to the lockbox so they can quickly get a key to your home in the event of an emergency. The lockbox can also be used so that family members or friends can readily get a key to your home when necessary.
Can the button go with me if I move or am on vacation?
You can easily take our "HOME" or "HOME & YARD" emergency call button systems with you on vacation, or if you are a SnowBird. It is very easy to unplug and re-install. Simply notify Medical Care Alert Customer Service at 877-913-3680 of your current location. Information can be changed anytime and as many times as needed at no charge.
Our "HOME & AWAY" systems can be taken anywhere in the USA. You will be protected anywhere you have coverage with the AT&T Wireless network.
Do the medical alert button batteries ever need charging?
All medical alert buttons have a battery.
Most standard medical alert emergency call buttons never need charging as they are self-contained and just get replaced when the battery gets low. All cellular / GPS medical alert devices should be charged daily.
Here's a list of the types of batteries used in our medical alert call buttons:
- Batteries never need charging. HOME Medical Alert Button batteries last up to 7 years before they need to be replaced. AutoFALL Fall Detection button batteries last up to 18 months before needing to be replaced. Our customer service team will notify you when we receive a low battery notification, and make arrangements to send a replacement medical alert button at no charge to you.
HOME & YARD System
- Comes with 2 lithium ion batteries for the pendant - one to keep in the pendant and one to keep in the console charging compartment. Pendant batteries should be swapped out at least once a month. The HOME & YARD 2-way voice pendant will announce "battery is low and should be replaced soon" when it is time to swap out your battery.
HOME & AWAY System
- All HOME & AWAY pendants should be charged daily for best results. Most folks will just place the pendant in the charger at night, and keep it on the nightstand or other convenient location. Battery life on a single charge depends on several factors including: which model of HOME & AWAY system you have, cellular strength, if fall detection is enabled, and other environmental conditions.
For more information about medical alert batteries
, click the link and visit our Thrive! Blog article.
Or call us at