$99 DIY Bathroom Safety Makeover Anyone Can Do!
For years we've talked about how important it is to make the bathroom safe for seniors. The bathroom is the Number 1 place for falls and injuries (pun intended). So we've created an inexpensive, do-it-yourself bathroom makeover to make your bathroom safe and comfortable!
Experts recommend making the bathroom easier to use for seniors, and easy to recover from a fall, slip or other mis-step.
Some of the top recommendations for bathroom safety include:
- Raise the height of the toilet seat
- Install grab bars in the shower
- Remove loose scatter rugs or mats
- Install a hand-held shower handle with long flexible hose
- Add more light
- Remove clutter
- Use a non-slip mat or strips in the bathtub or shower stall
- Use a shower chair
To help you make this transition, we've found an easy way that anyone can transform a bathroom for under $100, all with no tools required! And to make it even easier, all these items can be purchased on Amazon.com and delivered in just a couple of days! So now there's no excuse!
OK - let's get going!
Here's your shopping list and links to all the products we found. Shop around - you might find deals with open-box items that can save you even more money!
- Raised Toilet Seat $27.00
- Medline Locking elevated toilet seat raises the seat level by 5 inches. No assembly required. Clamps onto the bowl – fits most bowls, even elongated bowls. https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Locking-Elevated-Toilet-without/dp/B0007YX290/
- Adjustable Shower Stool $29.95
- Vaunn Medical round design fits smaller tubs, adjustable legs with anti-slip rubber tips. No tool assembly – just click the legs into the seat. https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Free-Assembly-Adjustable-Anti-Slip-Stability/dp/B07XTT8Z1B
- Shower wall grab bars $12.38 (for 2)
- Garosa’s anti-slip handrail bathtub shower grab bar with suction cups. Easy to install, fits securely to ceramic tile or glass with vacuum pressure suction cups. https://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Anti-Slip-Handrail-Bathtub-Removable/dp/B07GT2P4HV
- Motion Sensor Plug-In Night Light $5.47
- Feit Electric Color Changing LED Night Light will brighten the bathroom. Turns on when it detects motion, saving money. Change colors to reflect your mood! https://www.amazon.com/Feit-Electric-NL7-LED-Changing/dp/B000LWIRE8
- No-Slip Shower/Bathtub Mat $8.99
- YINENN Bath Tub Shower Mat with Suction Cups is Non-Slip and Latex Free, Bathtub Mat. Available in 2 sizes, same price. Machine washable. https://www.amazon.com/YINENN-Non-Slip-Phthalate-Washable-Eco-Friendly/dp/B07ZPRLJM
- Adjustable hand-held shower head with long hose $15.95
- AquaDance High Pressure 6-Setting 3.5" Chrome Face Handheld Shower with 5 foot flexible Hose. Tool free connection, fits any standard shower arm. https://www.amazon.com/AquaDance-Experience-Officially-Independently-Performance/dp/B01H2DG1SW
- TOTAL $99.74
So let's review: you can shop online, have everything delivered in just a couple of days, set it up with no tools needed, and make your bathroom safer for $99.74. What are you waiting for?
Here are two more great ideas for being safe in the bathroom:
- Keep an extra Medical Alert button in the bathroom. Your Medical Care Alert button is shower safe, but we know some folks may not remember to bring it with them. So get an extra one and keep it handy
- Don't close the door when you go. If you fall in the bathroom and block the door, emergency personnel will have a hard time getting in to help you. So leave the door open for safety.
Want more safety tips to prevent falls in the home? Check out these resources:
Kitchen Safety for Seniors Infographic - Another great infographic with ways to make the kitchen a safer area.
Bathroom Safety for Seniors Infographic - Another great infographic with ways to make the bathroom a safer area for seniors.
“50+Ways To Prevent Falls” Fall Prevention Guide - Our FREE Fall prevention guide - a great resource to help make the home safer for seniors
“One Step Ahead” Caregiver Guide - Our FREE guide to help caregivers set up their elderly family members (and themselves) up for success
5 Ways to Make Bathroom Accessible and Safe - Additional tips and ideas on easy and inexpensive bathroom makeovers to help increase bathroom safety for elderly family members
How to prevent common in-home injuries for seniors- This safety infographic will help you find some ways to make the home safer